Friday, 22 May 2009

It's in the name

This little missive was prompted by a discussion that I had at work recently.

We were discussing some of the equipment that we use. For instance, the spreader frames on the cranes are referred to as "Brommas". This is the manufacturers name and we do use frames from other suppliers. We then moved onto trailers. We tend to refer to container carrying trailers as "Piggs". Again, this is the manufacturers name. We actually do not have any of their trailers in use any more. We now use equipment from RTS, Trailmaster, Fabrisem etc. But, they are still called "Piggs".

We then moved onto more domestic matters (as you do). We all "Hoover", although we may actually be using a Dyson (or other vacuum cleaner). In fact, "Hoover" is now both a noun and a verb. We write with "Biros" regardless of who the actual manufacturer of the scribing implement is.

So what other trade or manufacturers names have been adopted into the language?

Please write your answers on the back of a signed, but otherwise blank, cheque and post to......

6 comments:

  1. I think you'll find Biro was only his pen name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I suppose "Hoover" was only a term used by people who wanted to suck up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't a lot of "Sellotape" really be just called sticky tape?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I think some Velux windows aren't actually made by Velux (but I may be wrong there).

    ReplyDelete
  5. we take our soup to work in a thermos of any make (usually asian these days)

    we grab a kleenex, whether it's a Scotties or any other brand.

    we Xerox a letter sometimes on a Lanier or a Canon copier (nobody is going to say "I will just Canon this for you")

    ReplyDelete