I spotted this today. It seems that not receiving a Valentine's card can cause emotional trauma when you are six.
I remember "post boxes" in all the classrooms when I was at school. Admittedly the boxes were reinforced in order to contain the messages professing undying love as they were written on slate. It was just a bit of fun, nobody died, or suffered mental anguish that lasted well into adulthood if they did not receive the requisite number of missives.
I am all for protecting our children. They are the future (may the gods preserve us), after all. However, let us protect them from something more than an imagined risk. I wonder if a risk assessment was carried out prior to this decision being made? If so, I imagine that it would have looked a bit like this:
Process - Giving and receiving of Valentine's cards.
Number of people exposed - 30+ (per class) .
Duration of exposure - 7 to 10 days (lead in to Valentine's day).
Control measures already in place - Sense of fun, common sense.
Liklehood of hazard - Probable (at least one child will not receive a card).
Severity of hazard - Slight (possibility of small tantrum).
Additional control measures required - None (it is only a bit of fun).
Comments - Ignore risk assessment and abolish the process.
I note that Ann Widdecombe has come down on the side of, "It is a bit of fun, let's not over react".
With respect, if she has not been traumatised by the absence of cards - I suspect that no one else will be either.
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

Valentine's Day is a ludicrous tradition in the first place, so the fact that anyone treats is seriously is laughable.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had a card for several years. Look what that's turned me into.
ReplyDeleteLiz - It would appear that St Valentine was a martyr of some kind, but it is not clear where he hailed from. Valentine's Day may have its' origins in the writings of Chaucer, again, this is not clear.
ReplyDeleteDave - Was that a hint?
Oh dear. What are we turning into? Why oh why oh why oh why ... etc
ReplyDelete