We recorded the Jubilee concert so that we could skip through the boring bits. I have to say that the fast forward button didn't get as much use as I anticipated. As live events go, this one was pretty slick.
One or two of the artists, sadly, don't have the voices that they used that have and Sir Elton appears to have turned into a pub singer. Overall, we thought it was quite spiffing. Madness were brilliant, as was Sir Tom. The techies did a marvelous job- the projection onto the palace was impressive. Number One Son (who does that sort of thing for a living) may well say it was quite ordinary, but it impressed me.
Although I don't claim to be a royalist, I have to admit to enjoying the whole thing. They just need to change that godawful dirge that is the national anthem.
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

There was some shite near the start (who are JLS anyway?) and Sir Cliff was apalling.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that the Queen herself wasn't even present for the tosh section, she waited until his eminence Sir Tom Jones had warmed the crowd up before she came on.
We got 30 seconds in to Jessie J and turned off.
ReplyDeleteThere was an interesting argument on Facebook about the fact that the turns were either Live Aid vintage superstars from 30 years ago or recent X Factor upstarts. Nothing in between and little chance of the upstarts maturing into Tom Jones type careers.
I wouldn't mind the National Anthem if they's let me sing the third verse occasionally - the one about frustrating their knavish tricks..... Actually I did sing it a year or so ago in a Church Remembrance Service, when all the rest of the choir was singing the second verse of the Official Peace Version. Our Choir Mistress took me to task about it afterwards. Incredibly good hearing that woman's got....
ReplyDeleteNational Anthems must inhibit composers. I've never heard one I enjoyed though there was one I dimly recall finding quite funny. But only up to the sixth verse.
ReplyDeleteI've always thought Knees Up Mother Brown would be the perfect national anthem for Great Britain.
ReplyDelete