Friday, 27 July 2012

The Bears go over the mountain (by car)

The Bears have been on holibobs. 1644 miles, 2 weeks and several quids later, we are back from a grand tour of Scotland and Northumberland. The Smaller Bear has been documenting our travels so a full account will, no doubt, appear on her blog in due course. For now, I'm just going to chuck a few pictures on here for general perusal. You may note a common theme developing.


This is an LMS Black 5 crossing Glenfinnan viaduct. Harry Potter fans will recognise it as the viaduct crossed by the  Hogwarts Express. The locomotive in the film was called "Hogwarts Castle". However, it was actually a Hall class locomotive that was repainted and renamed for the film. "Olton Hall" to be precise. Too nerdy? Ok, I'll stop now.

This is Oban harbour. I thought this picture might look good on a chocolate box.

This is Castle Stalker. It is also known as Castle Aaarghh in the film, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

We visited Auld Reekie and saw Mr Wallace. I believe that the tourist did not survive the encounter.

We had a tour of the Dalwhinnie distillery earlier in the week and then we embarked on the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh culminating in whisky tasting. We then had some whisky cocktails. The Smaller Bear got a little bladdered (as can be seen).

This is Roslin chapel, as seen in "The Da Vinci Code".

One for the Antiquarian Horologist

Alnwick Castle aka Hogwarts

You can't go on holiday and not buy presents. These are all for us.

7 comments:

  1. Now you've bought a compass it'll only be 987 miles next time.
    Lovely viaduct shot - I bet you waited ages for that train to appear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rog - The steam trains make two return trips a day from Fort William to Mallaig, we waited about 40 minutes. Sad git that I am, I bought the compass so I could work out which mountains we could see from our holiday cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on that train. It proves my long held belief that Steam Trains are best enjoyed from the outside rather than the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You film buff, you! Looks as if you had a most splendid time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rog - I agree, we did the trip on a regular scheduled service.
    Z - We did, just a shame to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds heavenly - we've been on that train too. Somewhere I've got a blurry photo of the back end of the train from the window with a sloping bit of viaduct. Much better taken from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much Steve. Fascinating case full of gang moulds, etc. I've only just discovered your holiday blogs. Very remiss of me. I'll have a really good read of both tomorrow.
    Warm regards, Mike and Ann.

    ReplyDelete