It appears to be a casket of the 'tabernacle' kind made of metal, with a finial missing at the right hand end. Job to judge size. Tri-lobed arches of a 14th century style. Gives an impression of a greyish metal. Not, I think, as early as it looks.
Hello Sir B, I would not entirely dismiss Rog's first idea but would suggest it is equally likely a gear-box of a Douglas Mk.V 350cc horizontally opposed twin. Perhaps the gear which was stowed in this box was Masonic gloves & aprons or ecclesiastical garb and gaiters? It appears quite deliberately distressed with several ornamental details broken, so it is more likely clerical as the Masons respect and protect their ceremonial gew-gaws while Deans of the church seem to encourage the practice of hooliganism upon irreplaceable and time-honoured treasures and artefacts.
I think this form of casket is typical of the mediaeval reliquary but cannot be sure if you have an ancient ecclesiastical object or a theatrical/cinematographic stage property. Do you have any more Photos of it?
There are only two motifs remaining above the capitals of the double pillars, The first looks like a crown of the type worn in the Eastern Orthodox Churches by Archbishops or Popes, the second is somewhat hazier but is of mitre-shape with a spur below it or it may be a pallium, neckwear specific to popes, arch-bishops and the patriarch of Jerusalem. Such things bring the crusades to mind - certainly the spur would indicate a knighted, fighting, prince of the church.
Thankyou gentlemen. It was at Kentwell Hall, I am tempted to subscribe to the reliquary theory. Sadly, this is the only picture that I have. I took it on my phone as we were rather intrigued by it (the box, not the phone).
the item you depict is also shown to less advantage at the following website:- http://lifesadventures-amb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/kentwell-hall-tudor-fair-part-one.html
with the motto:- 'The reliquary that the house (Kentwell Hall) hid during the Reformation supposedly holds the head of a saint. Not sure if this story is true or just part of the re enactment story'
As to my suggestion that the artifact may be of stage property origin it seems Kentwell Hall has featured as a location for a number of film and TV productions as well as many commercial 'educational' fairs, festivals & entertainments. I suggest you persuade Mike to open the box - or at least look it over; I'd take his word as to authenticity once he got his hands on it.
A veritable scoundrel of a large bear. Thin on top but, unfortunately, not so thin everywhere else. Residing in Ipswich with the Small Bear (AKA Mrs. Bear). Perpertually cheerful sort of varlet. Loathsome, really.
BSA 250 gearbox?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rog.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rog.
ReplyDeleteIt appears to be a casket of the 'tabernacle' kind made of metal, with a finial missing at the right hand end. Job to judge size. Tri-lobed arches of a 14th century style. Gives an impression of a greyish metal. Not, I think, as early as it looks.
ReplyDeleteP.s. Apologies for not spotting it before. Very remiss of me.
ReplyDeleteHello Sir B,
ReplyDeleteI would not entirely dismiss Rog's first idea but would suggest it is equally likely a gear-box of a Douglas Mk.V 350cc horizontally opposed twin.
Perhaps the gear which was stowed in this box was Masonic gloves & aprons or ecclesiastical garb and gaiters? It appears quite deliberately distressed with several ornamental details broken, so it is more likely clerical as the Masons respect and protect their ceremonial gew-gaws while Deans of the church seem to encourage the practice of hooliganism upon irreplaceable and time-honoured treasures and artefacts.
I think this form of casket is typical of the mediaeval reliquary but cannot be sure if you have an ancient ecclesiastical object or a theatrical/cinematographic stage property. Do you have any more Photos of it?
ReplyDeleteThere are only two motifs remaining above the capitals of the double pillars, The first looks like a crown of the type worn in the Eastern Orthodox Churches by Archbishops or Popes, the second is somewhat hazier but is of mitre-shape with a spur below it or it may be a pallium, neckwear specific to popes, arch-bishops and the patriarch of Jerusalem. Such things bring the crusades to mind - certainly the spur would indicate a knighted, fighting, prince of the church.
ReplyDeleteThankyou gentlemen. It was at Kentwell Hall, I am tempted to subscribe to the reliquary theory. Sadly, this is the only picture that I have. I took it on my phone as we were rather intrigued by it (the box, not the phone).
ReplyDeletethe item you depict is also shown to less advantage at the following website:-
ReplyDeletehttp://lifesadventures-amb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/kentwell-hall-tudor-fair-part-one.html
with the motto:-
'The reliquary that the house (Kentwell Hall) hid during the Reformation supposedly holds the head of a saint. Not sure if this story is true or just part of the re enactment story'
ReplyDeleteAs to my suggestion that the artifact may be of stage property origin it seems Kentwell Hall has featured as a location for a number of film and TV productions as well as many commercial 'educational' fairs, festivals & entertainments.
I suggest you persuade Mike to open the box - or at least look it over; I'd take his word as to authenticity once he got his hands on it.