Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Queasy Rider

 There is a high risk of boring subject matter here, so please feel free to close your browser if the need takes you.

I was discussing the possibility of getting a second bike with Mrs B a few weeks ago (she did point out that I only had one arse and a second bike would, therefore, be superfluous). However, the conversation did start me thinking about bikes that I have owned. Apart from a few years when I got my car licence and again when Number One Son was born, I have had a bike of some sort since I  was a callow youth of 17. In fact, I had a bike licence two years before I took my car test. In those days, you could ride any bike up to 250cc on a provisional licence and "L" plates indefinitely. You could even carry a pillion, provided that they held a full bike licence. The test involved riding around the block a few times whilst the examiner (who was on foot) wandered about and peered at you from time to time. Obviously, I passed first time.
Anyway, here follows a list of my bikes. I do not have pictures of many of them, but Google images has filled the gaps. I should be clear, by "bike", I mean motorcycle. Not
hairdrier scooter or one of those silly things with pedals. 

 I cannot remember dates, but here they are in the most accurate chronological order that I can recall.

First was a Suzuki GT185. This was a two stroke parallel twin with electric start. I passed my test on this one and dropped it a couple of times during the time that I had it. Well, everyone drops their first bike (Z, if you are reading this, ignore that last sentence).

Suzuki GT185
Next came a Suzuki GT380. Another two stroke, a triple cylinder this time. I remember that it would emit smoke on an epic scale under hard acceleration. I threw this one at the scenery as well.

Suzuki GT380
Third bike was a Suzuki GT250. Yet another two stroke (well, I was young). I did not have this one long as it was around the time that I got my car licence. Funds did not permit two vehicles at that time.

Suzuki GT250

Four strokes from now on. A Yamaha RS250 Custom. Not sure that I have the model correct. I do remember that it was a single cylinder and vibrated hard enough to dislodge fillings.

Yamaha RS250 Custom

Then came a trio of Hondas. These were reliable, easy to ride and totally dull. I had these primarily as a means of getting to work.

Honda CB250N Superdream. Four stroke parallel twin.
Honda CB250RS. Four stroke single cylinder.
Honda CG125. How I hated this one. I never cleaned it or serviced it, it just would not break. It was small, gutless and totally tedious. Cheap to run and never failed to start though.
Another bike break at this point. Then, a foray into some decent metal. I treated myself to a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder. An 800cc watercooled V twin. This looked and sounded good. Handled quite well for a cruiser as well.

Suzuki VZ800. 

Next came a Yamaha XJ900 Diversion. This was a 900cc in-line four cylinder. I bought this because it was far more suitable for year round riding. I did the Essex Air Ambulance run from Dagenham to Harwich on this. I am not a fan of riding in groups, but I have to say that this was an experience. 2,000 bikes, the police were on hand to stop the traffic and people actually turned out to watch us ride past.

Yamaha XJ900. This one is still around, I occasionally see it.
A change from the rice burners (Japanese bikes) next. A Triumph 955i Tiger. This was a four stroke triple. I had this for a while and still think it is one of the best bikes that I have owned. It was really rather quick. By this time, I was nudging 50 and Number One Son had passed his test and was riding a 600cc sports bike. The decision to reluctantly part with the Tiger came from a ride out that developed into a race. I remember seeing well over three figures on the clock nudging 120 actually - Ed and thinking that I really should not be risking my licence.

Triumph Tiger. I still miss it.

Back to the rice burners and something more sedate. A Suzuki VL1500 Intruder. Huge 1500cc V twin engine and as comfortable as an armchair. This was the bike that Mrs B first rode pillion with me on. We had several rides out on this. It was totally awesome on a run and an absolute bastard in slow moving traffic. It weighed 360 Kilos and the raked forks made it weave at walking pace. It was a bit of a gas guzzler as well. We rode this to Z's first blog meet and I got my first speeding ticket on the way. I was gutted to have finally been caught. The ticket gave the address of the website where you could view the speed camera evidence. I have to say, we looked bloody good!

Suzuki 1500 Intruder. I believe that Mrs B may have pictures of this one. Mine had a screen and panniers.
Again, I had a change for something more all year round and commuter friendly. I remember that we had gone to the local bike dealers for something fairly trivial and I ended up trading the Intruder in for a Suzuki DL650 V Strom. It was a nice little bike. Physically quite tall and handled really well. For some reason, I just did not feel the love for it. I have no explanation, but Number One Son had one for a while and said the same. Mind you, he did fall off his.

Suzuki DL650 V Strom
Now we come to the current bike. This is purely a toy as circumstances allow us "his" and "hers" cars. I decided that practicality was not a requirement, it needed to look good, should be reasonably quick and handle well. Points three and four immediately ruled out a Harley. So, here it is, the Triumph not a rice burner then - Ed Bonneville T100. I think that I may have this one for some while - out of choice rather than necessity.

The Bonneville. This is actually a picture of my actual bike. This is soon to be fitted with some louder pipes as Mrs B said that it sounded like a sewing machine.
There you go, told you it would be boring.

6 comments:

  1. Boring? Gosh no, I'm green with envy and can't think what has taken me this long - especially since I've set myself a hard task at my advanced age.

    You could point out to Mrs B that she has only one pair of feet and count the shoes in her closet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wot, no Black Shadow? Z would good on one of them. My brother had some kind of Norton (I think). And Mrs B might just be up against Rog as regards sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim - I would love a Black Shadow. When they came out in the 50'S (I think) they were the fastest production bike in the world. sadly, the last time that I saw one for sale, it would have made a big hole in thirty grand.
    Z - That is a good point. I'll take a double dose of Hero Pills and try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a Suzuki Katana.

    I'd only borrowed it for a week for the Earls Court Motor Cycle Show.

    Now I feel nostalgic for hair dryers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rog - If you do end up with another hair drier, I will still speak to you.

    ReplyDelete