Sunday, 6 October 2013

Bears and Bonneville join other bikers.

This is the second year of owning the Bonneville. I have to say that it continues to be a source of joy as it rides well and looks good. However, it has never sounded like a proper bike as it has exhausts that have been Euro neutered. This came to a head a couple of months ago when Mrs B commented that it sounded like a lawn mower. I took this to mean that she wanted me to do something about it, so I ordered some replacement exhausts. Apparently this was not what she meant at all, however, the pipes were ordered and it was too late to cancel. Two weeks ago, the pipes arrived and were duly fitted. Now the Bonnie sounds like a proper bike.

Anyway, the main subject of this post is to share a little of this weekend's biking exploits. Saturday was pleasantly warm, so I gave the bike a clean. Having done so, I suggested to Mrs B that we have a ride out to Felixstowe. Having negotiated (a fish and chip lunch), she agreed and off we went. We ended up at the View Point Cafe, where we fed and then watched the ships for a while (not that I don't see enough of them during the week). 
Sunday was the day of the Copdock Bike Show that is not held at Copdock any more. We had been a couple of years ago and were quite underwhelmed. After some deliberation, we decided to go and give it another chance. 

Bikes as far as the eye can see.
 It was a good day. We rode onto the site in the company of around twenty other bikes and parked up among a veritable sea of two wheeled machinery. We then wandered onto the site and met up with a chap from where I work. He was there with his wife and three children, none of whom seemed to be sharing his enthusiasm for all things bike. We then headed off to see the show bikes. There were some amazing custom bikes and some very well restored old ones. I did take some pictures on my phone, but they do not really do the bikes justice.


This was an amazing custom job - it is labelled as a "Zombie outbreak response vehicle"

I remember these - the KH 750. They did have a bit of a reputation for bad handling as I recall.
The original Bonneville


A whole collection of  old Triumphs
We then headed off in search of lunch. We opted for noodles, which we ate whilst watching football played on motorcycles. If the World Cup was played like that, I might consider watching it. There were a lot of trade stands, which we perused at a leisurely pace. I was very tempted by a large Victory cruiser, but £15000 is rather a lot for a second bike.

Late afternoon, we left and headed down the road to a pub for a drink, then we headed home. A fine day, I think. There is something about being around other bikers.



 





4 comments:

  1. I wish you could meet our son-in-law. He custom-makes bikes. Quite impressive looking things some of them. And he has treasures hidden in his store. Unfortunately I can't remember what any of them are called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you never know, Mig. Doesn't have a website, by any chance does he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry no Sir Bruin, it's really a hobby for him and done by word of mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mig, Sir B and Liz get about, they might take a holiday in his neck of the woods some time...

    ReplyDelete