Sunday, 16 March 2014

Adventures in the Hodmedod

Those who are acquainted with the Bears via the Book of Face may be aware that we have added a caravan to out fleet of vehicles. Yes, I am sorry, but there will be one more mobile chicane to negotiate when you are battling around those over crowded and under maintained roads of ours.

So, this weekend was the date chosen for the first trip. A one night stay at a CL site (if you're that interested, you'll Google it!) in Bungay. Not too far away, but far enough to make it worthwhile. As an aside, I have to say that Bungay will probably be very nice when it is finished. The current one way system that is in place whilst the new road layout and shared space is being created is something to behold.
The site was very good and, as it turned out, was owned by a friend of Z and The Sage. Given that we were staying only a few miles from the aforementioned Z, we took the opportunity to visit, scrounge a hot drink and indulge in a bit of tortoise worship. Anyone read Small Gods by Terry Pratchett?

The Hodmedod
Domestic Goddess aka the Small Bear

The lounge area (admittedly, it is only 2 feet from the kitchen area, but hey)
 During our stay, we also had a bit of a walk by the River Waveney. Here are some assorted images of dickbods etc by way of a brief interlude..........

Metaphor for life - Calm on the surface, paddling like f*** underneath

Quite pleased with this one, no idea what it is though.


View across the river to one of the churches

Arty farty view of a bridge

Another dickbod

Every home should have a boat at the bottom of the garden - makes a welcome change from fairies

Yet another view across the river
So, although it was a short break, all went well. We did make a list of stuff that we should have taken but did not. Nothing major though. The van towed well and the only drama on the road was on the way home when we encountered some dipshit who was meandering from one lane to the other on the dual carriageway.  All in all, it bodes well for our mega trip to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow later this year.

9 comments:

  1. As always, a more amusing account than mine.

    I had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was at school the RE master tortoise worship.
    Not sure of the bird pics but you avocet of prints (c) S Banks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pretty area, I should go for walks that side of Bungay more often.

    In all other respects, I'm silenced by Rog's comment. Dumbstruck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swan, wren (I think), and wood pigeon, but I'm sure you know them, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike - You're giving me more credit than I deserve. I was ok with the swan and the pigeon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or possibly a warbler of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks almost as good as a boat!
    Being delighted by the word hodmedod, I looked it up and learned that is variously, something small and curled up, a scarecrow or other strange person, a hedgehog, a silly person, or a snail depending on where you look it up and whether you mean the Berkshire or Suffolk dialect word.
    So I was wondering which of these you've been travelling in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always known snails as hodmedods, I assume it is a Suffolk thing. I would love a narrow boat but, living where we do, it is not hugely practical. Mrs B will probably confirm that I have been known to spend hours watching canal boats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was young (well, even younger) in the Norfolk fens, the small, well marked, yellow snails were known a HODNEDODS. In David Copperfield (I think) there is a reference to snails being known, in the Norfolk speech, as DODMEN.

    ReplyDelete