Monday, 21 December 2015

Ponderous ponderings from a curmudgeonly old cynic


I have been remiss in my blogging duties of late (You mean that you can’t be arsed – Ed), so I thought that I might share some observations inspired by the BBC news page this morning.

1.       It would appear that Mr A Murray has been named as Sports Personality of the Year. I find this rather surprising as I thought he would have failed to qualify for not meeting the fundamental criteria.

2.       Bjorn the reindeer made a hasty exit from a festive event at a Tesco store in Carlton. Presumably, he was in the lasagne aisle and decided that discretion would be the better part of valour.

3.       At the Miss Universe pageant, it seems that Miss Columbia was crowned winner in error. After much embarrassment, the title was awarded to the competitor who actually won (Miss Philipines).  Ok, anyone can make a mistake even if this was fairly large as cock ups go.

However, the universe is defined as all of time, all of space and everything contained therein. This then begs the question, was the competition limited to contestants from one planet within one system in one galaxy? That being so, It is hardly Miss Universe, is it? Or, did the contestants from the other systems and galaxies simply not measure up? Were they complete munters?

 This raises another question, what would be the judging criteria that would fairly rate one competitor against another? Would it, perhaps, be based on number of limbs/appendages? Maybe carbon based life forms would have the edge over, say, hydrogen or silicon based forms? The judging panel should also represent the diversity of the competitors; otherwise a certain bias could be construed?

Actually, who gives a pair of fetid dingo’s kidneys? * There many things in life to get excited about, Miss World/System/Galaxy/Universe is not one of them.

 *Courtesy of Douglas Adams

I have pondered enough.
Enjoy the season and celebrate whichever festival that you believe is most appropriate.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm concerned that you have cynically included the words "cock up" and "Miss Universe" in the same paragraph to boost your clicks like the Daily Mail web site does (I'm told)

    ReplyDelete