The bears have been to the races at Newmarket. This has been an annual event for the Small Bear for some years and one that I was introduced to for the first time last year.
I have not previously had a great deal of interest in the sport of kings, but I have to admit that it is a good day out. These events are organised by an ex colleague of the Small Bear, he works at the course and is able to get us entry to the posh bit. This does mean dressing up a bit though.
We arrived just before lunch and had a picnic in the car park before we met the rest of the group.
The Small Bear has food.
We then went in to the Member's Enclosure, where we could view the Hoi Polloi on the other side of the fence (I'm not a snob - honest).
Windswept Racegoing Bear
We found a table that we could base ourselves at and then we wandered off to see the first of the seven races.
We also found a bookmaker who would accept bets of less than £5 which allowed us to buy pieces of paper with the losing horses' names on quite cheaply.
Racegoing crowds.
The Larger Bear had £2 on the one at the back.
It was a really good atmosphere, the races are far more exciting to watch live. Not knowing anything about racing, I had a couple of pounds on any nag whose name caught my eye.
Clearly, there must be more to it than that as all my choices are probably still running. However, it was a really fun day and I would definitely go again next year if the opportunity arises.

Oh that's where you got to yesterday, is it? Never mind the Small Bear, how about taking a small sheep with you?
ReplyDeleteOnce had the most marvellous day at Ascot. Was told that the first horse you see when you arrive will win. So we bet on that... and won. £27 I seem to recall. Bloody marvellous. Then went on to bet on all the horses my then 3 year old liked and won 4 out of 5 more races. Never happened since. But what a good day... glad you had fun. Those bits of paper are expensive, though, eh...
ReplyDelete