Friday, 6 August 2010

English as she is spoke

I can not be doing with text speak, every text that I send has to be correctly spelt and punctuated (to the best of my ability). This pedantry extends to a mild irritation with signs outside shops that are not correct.
Whilst on holiday in Kent last month, we saw a hand-written sign outside a greengrocery exhorting us to buy their cheap "TOMATO'S".
On the waterfront in Whitstable, we saw what appeared to be a professionally produced sign at the entrance to the yacht club car park informing us that there was "STRICKLY NO PARKING FOR NON MEMBERS".
My absolute favourite came to light last night whilst I was looking at a website for a quite upmarket bed and breakfast. It encouraged us to, "ENJOY DELICIOUS HOMEMADE CAKES IN YOUR ROOM OR ON THE SIDEBOARD".
I have to admit that the image associated with the above caused me much hilarity.

6 comments:

  1. Greengrocer's have a special dispensation to play fast and loose with apostrophe's. It's apparently an EU project to make ammends for hassling them with gram's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't spelt a kind of wheat? I prefer to use spelled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugger! Thank you, Dave. In my defence, I wrote this in a hurry whilst trying to look like I was working. Hoist by my owm petard, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still smirking at the image of you enjoying your cake on the sideboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, the greengrocer's apostrophe is greatly valued by my son. And he never corrects his assistants' spelling, though I wished he did when I noticed that I had written 'Conferance' Pears.

    I have always understood that spelt is correct English, whereas spelled is correct American. Either is quite all right. In the same way, it doesn't matter whether you write focused or focussed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mind you, I've got a bit of a thing against 'would of'.

    ReplyDelete