Monday, 2 May 2011

Bears bimble over to Bungay

In response to an invite from Z, The Smaller Bear and I fired up the trusty steed today and headed north to the very edge of the known world. Had we travelled a few miles further, we would have been navigating an area marked only with the forbidding words, "Here be dragons". Maybe I should invest in a more up to date map. The purpose of this trip was to attend a party for fellow bloggers and to admire The Great Wall, as constructed by Dave. A most impressive erection it was too.

Being a keen biker, I thought that this would be an ideal opportunity for a ride. The Smaller Bear, being an indulgent pillion tentatively agreed. The weather was bright and dry, albeit a little blustery, so we headed off up the A12. This, we had decided, was the optimum route. Wrong. Miles of slow moving traffic which eventually came to a complete standstill due to some unfortunate driver putting their car in a field. Had we not been on the bike, I suspect that we would still be sitting there. As it was, we were able to ride to the front of the queue to wait (and chat) with some other bikers until the police opened the road again. Consequently, we were 40 minutes late.

However, it was a marvellous afternoon. We met some really nice people, some who we knew from their blogs and some that we were meeting for the first time. Well, to be accurate, we were meeting all of them for the first time. Z and her husband were most welcoming. The food was amazing in both variety and quantity. Big lumps of meat are always a hit with me.
I would like to offer my sincere thanks to Z for her hospitality. I believe that there was talk of this becoming an annual event?

I will not mention all those we met by name (mainly because I am useless with names and may inadvertently omit someone), but you know who you are and it was good to meet you. I will say, however, how pleased I was to finally meet Oz and Lily.

P.S. We took the Sage's advice regarding the route home. Much quicker and some great biker roads.

P.P.S. I suspect that pictures will be available on the Smaller Bear's blog real soon.

4 comments:

  1. It was a marvellous afternoon, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't actually build the entire wall myself. I had assistants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - In my experience, the managers take the credit for a job well done and the assistants take the blame when it goes the way of the pear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a smashing time. If you find yourself in our area, give us a yell and look us up. Ann and Mike.

    ReplyDelete