As mentioned here, the Smaller Bear (blessings be upon her) and I have been enjoying a couple of weeks away from work. Not having planned anything specific, we have had an assortment of days out. Last week, we went to Bressingham. I am rather partial to all things rail and I am fortunate that the Diminutive Bear (may her fur never be ruffled) is not averse to being dragged along to various nerd gatherings.

The Small bear alongside Peer Gynt - a German built loco that was used by the Norwegian State Railway from 1945 until 1953. It was then mothballed in a tunnel until it was rediscovered in 1972. It is too big to run on UK infrastructure.
The interior of a mail coach.
The interior of one of the royal coaches. Apparently, Charles used it on numerous occasions. When I was 21, I got some record tokens. I didn't get Wales and my own bloody carriage.
The GNR class C1 Henry Oakley.
Small bear doing her Jones the Steam impression. Although this is, in fact, a diesel. I believe it is a class 04 shunter.
We had a ride on this. Sadly, it is no longer steam driven but is still a good way to see your lunch go for miles.
This morning was spent in a most pleasant manner in the company of Mike and Ann. Many interesting things were seen and the world was put to rights over a rather fine breakfast at the local farm shop. Thank you to you both, it was a real pleasure to renew our acquaintance.
Tomorrow, a model railway exhibition at Southwold beckons. I suspect that I may have to buy the Little Bear a rather nice lunch.

It was our pleasure too, Sir B. Thank you both for a very pleasant morning.
ReplyDeleteThe Small Bear has got smaller since I met her. Either that or it's a damn big train.
ReplyDeleteWise of her to wear trousers when going on the Galloper. I showed an unseemly amount of leg last time.
Z - It is a damn big loco. Apparently, it is appearing in film that is due to be released soon (can't remember what it is called though).
ReplyDeleteThe (as yet unreleased) film that the large loco was used in is called Hugo Cabret.
ReplyDeleteYou must go to the National Railway Museum at Hull. MM was overjoyed to get his picture taken next to the Hogwarts Express. Its a man thing I think.
ReplyDelete