Friday, 28 October 2011

Funny how things turn out

Owing to a bit of a family crisis (the details of which I won't go into), I have renewed contact with one of my many cousins. We are of a similar age (she is older than me, but I won't make a thing of it) and we haven't really conversed since we were in our teens. However, one thing that came to light as a consequence of this renewed dialogue is our grandfathers war diary. My cousin had found it amongst some forgotten family bric-a-brac and typed it out. It's not very long and I include it here as I thought it made interesting reading.

The text in bold is my cousin's introduction.

Charles Ransome was born in Lidgate Suffolk on May 16th 1888. At the age of 22 he married Annie Martha Double and they lived in Ipswich. Charles was called to colours in 1916 at the age of 28. He was demobbed in 1918 due to an injury received.

The following is an accurate transcription of an actual notebook he carried with him whilst he served during the 1st World War. The son of a farmer the literacy is sometimes poor but to keep it accurate, I thought it best to transcribe it as it is. It would be easy to alter it, to make it more readable, but to do this I think would spoil it.


Left England for France 13th November 1917.

We had 3 days at Etaps, where we got fully equipped and then was started off to join our Battalion 314. Queens.

We travelled from one place to another for about a fortnight, having a good view of the ruined towns and villages. We stayed in one place quite near the line for a week doing nothing but carrying sandbags to pass away the mornings. After this we had the order to join the battalion in a certain place. So after packing up and another long journey we found the 314 Queens. We had a few days with them and all the old ones was again warned for the line , and all us of the new draft was reckoned as not fully trained. So in their mercy we were again separated from the Battalion and sent back to a French village named Bayvillias, where we had about a month or 5 weeks training in the mornings. We had Xmas there which was very dull and the food poor, and every day much about the same. We just hear the heavy guns firing at times. Till one day we were again ordered to join the Battalion for the line. We reached the Battalion and could hear nothing but the firing away of guns and the place lit up with the flashes. It made us wish we were back to the quiet village. We had then 4 days in preparing ourselves for the trenches at assdocourt. The time came to put on our packs and start off for the trenches it was 4oclock in Jan afternoon about 1 hours walk. Everything went well much better than I expected, but we hadn’t barely got into the trenches before the first German shells came over one after another. I stood there and with fixed bayonet and rifle with my head bent. I can’t describe my feelings. I could hear them coming through the air and busting around. But after a little experience I was better as one can soon tell by their sound if it is coming near or far away. I was delighted when the time came for us to be relieved. It was a release after 4 days and nights under such conditions with the cold and frost. As well we were taken back to some railway dugouts for 4 days but this was still under shell fire but better than the trenches. At the end of the 4 days we again set off for the trenches,

I knew what to expect this time. But I put my trust in the Lord, so was comforted. But after 2 days my foot became bad so I was sent to the Doctors and was excused the trenches, this was a blessing. On my way there I saw my first 3 wounded and the same day 2 dead. I was sent back from the line for several days time my foot was getting better, but as soon as it was fit I was again sent back to the battalion with some that had various complaints. And in another 4 days we were again marched to the trenches.

I noticed the machine gun bullets more than before as they came buzzing past us. It seemed a marvel we did not get hit this time in the trenches. About 8 o’clock same night in the trenches the Germans sent about 30 gas shells over. Went right over where we was, and the wind was in our favour and blowing it from us, some got a bit excited. And so the order was given to put on gas helmets. We did this only for about 5 mins then it was found out that we were quite safe without them. The following night again the sergeant Major came round and put the wind up us again, saying we were in for a time of strafing as they called it. (To attack a position or troops on the ground with machine-gun or cannon fire) That means a shelling bombardment. So about 8oclock up went the SOS the coloured lights for the signal to the artillery. We were all there just expecting something. I had thoughts of prayer, that the Lord would be merciful to all. We waited and waited, however nothing more than usual till the news came round that it was alright and the SOS only went up for practice . and in the morning we looked across No Man’s Land Cambre Front. As usual a wild desolate looking place. And during that day we heard the happy news that we were being returned tonight. And being marched right away to the light railway to be taken to a place right away from the line for a fortnight s rest this was on the last day of January. I was delighted I muddled along best I could but with some difficulty as my foot felt the effects of walking. But after leaving the train I was relieved of my rifle so got along better. We reached our place of rest about 1oclock in the morning. Where there was some hot oxo waiting for us. After this we could settle down to rest till 8oclock in the morning. Next day went well just cleaning the mud off ourselves and the next night about between 12 and 1oclock there was an air raid on right over our camp. Of course no one disturbed themselves till Jerry dropped a bomb very near us. It shook the old hut and set them talking. The following day we had the startling news that we were not finishing our fortnight, but all the Battalion was now being transferred to the 1st Queens. We were to pack up and get ready to move off. This was sudden, but it had to be done. We then had 2 days and nights long weary travelling. Marching and training. Then we came to the 1st Queens. Where we again were sorted out and put into different company’s . For a few days we did cleaning up and parades as if we were again back in England. But I didn’t feel well so I didn’t think much of it, so on the 11th of Feb I went sick, and the Doctor on examining me sent me to the hospital which I thought was good. After arriving there I settled myself in bed and was waited on until the 20th Feb, when I was again moved to another hospital ------- in motor ambulance. I still kept to my bed which was comfortable and good food. But the pains in my legs was awful at night. I could not sleep, it went on like this to the end of the month, when I seemed to be getting better. So on the 1st March my temperance was low so I got up and dressed myself. During the month of Feb I didn’t see the trenches. I couldn’t help but feeling thankful to the Lord for being where I was instead on being on the Front Line in the trenches.

On March 2nd I got my discharge from hospital and was posted to another hut with sick men. Same day bathed and got clean change of clothes.

March3rd went to the Church army service and the Chaplain spoke well in there. I joined in the Holy Communion.

4th Day March crossed out of hospital and transferred out of band L to Epres to labour company.

5th Day we parade till half past 5 and marched up the line moving shells.

6th March we parade as well and was sent to the Solwace dump to find steel helmet and then washed it in the camp.

7th we went up the line on the light railway and loaded up trucks with shells. The sight of the ground in being blown up one wouldn’t forget.

8th went up the line in wagon and miles loading up shells a nice bright day, a heavy barrage at night.

9th went up the line in motor wagon , just got a start in finding shells when the Germans send some of theirs over, right on the spot where we was . We have to run for our dear lives into the dugout, and expecting every shell was for us we didn’t do anymore work.

10th Sunday went up line in motor waggon and loaded up shells and back again for 2oclock dinner. After tea wrote letter and attended church service and took Holy Communion.

11th we loaded up train trucks with shells and cases near the camp, it was a beautiful day.

12th walked up the line and gathered shells.

13th. we went to Ypres salvage dump and loaded motor with old rifles and unloaded at another place, and had a ride round. After dinner we went to the baths and at night on Gas guard.

14th A day off after gas guard. I cleaned rifle and equipment. Wrote letter and rested.

15th Went up the line and loaded up shells in trucks and horse transport. The horrors of war we see and the stink from them awful.

16th Between 1 and 2 in the morning we had a number of enemy shells fired in and about our camp. We had one direct hit and it blew up hut and killed 3 and injured some. We were inspected by doctor but owing to the shortage of men we are being kept here for another 10 days. This is the answer to our prayers. We went up the line and motor and carried shells, we walked back.

17th Sunday. Went up the line in motor and carried shells. Went to Church service in the evening.

18th.Went up line in motor carried and loaded up shells.

19th. Went up line and loaded up shells. One of the enemy shells landed under the railway trucks and mashed it. It was a mercy that some were not killed.

20th We walked up the line and carried shells, till we have to run for our lives. Under cover from the enemy shells I saw one on steather our camp got shelled.

21st went up the line in motor and carried shells. Early in the morning our camp was gassed and we were moved to prison for safety from the shells.

22nd walked up the line to load up wagons which did not come, so we returned back. In the afternoon we went to bath and took our pay.

23rd walked to the Jeans camp and carried shells. Moved from the top to the bottom cellars in the prison.

24th road up to support lines and loaded up wagon with shells. Some killed and wounded near prison. Went to Church service and remembered the dead.

25th went across the road and loaded up shells round the cathedral ( cadreal) . Had a haircut.

26th Went up line in horsewaggon, and the enemy shells landed in front of us, so we had to turn back. Afternoon loaded up shells in another road.

27th walked up near Oxford Road, carried shells and walked back.

28thtravelled up near Oxford Road and carried shells and walked back.

29th Good Friday walked nearly up to Oxford Road and carried shells.

30th rode up the line in wagon and carried shell cases, then walked back. Passed 2 horses that had just been killed.

31st Easter Sunday all of us convalescing, were again inspected by the Doctor. Then we were sent back to our different Battalions. I managed to get a ride part of the way, and had my tea on the side of the road. I found my Battalion about 5 o’clock and was there just in time to hear the order given to get dressed ready to move off for the Passendale Front. I handed my note to the CO and was told to fall in the ranks straight away. We moved off and met motorbuses which took us to our destination. We were travelling all night and arrived here about 6oclock in the morning.

Easter Monday April 1st at Beaufort. We had rifle and feet inspection, and was standing in readiness to move off, at a few minutes’ notice.

2ndParaded at 9oclock till 12oclock in the ordinary way. Afternoons off. Was paid 7 sch (shillings) and 20 frans (franks)

I did billet guard at night.

3rd Parades as usual finish at noon

4th Parade at 9oclock and marched to the range and done some firing.

5th We had the order at 9oclock in the morning to pack up and have dinner early and be ready to move off at 12oclock. Then we marched about 6 miles to another camp. My feet were sore and I was tired.

6th Parade in the morning as usual. We were expecting the order at anytime to go up the line.

7th Sunday we had the order to get up early at 5.30, pack up have breakfast and be ready as soon as possible. Then to march back into the same barns where we left at Beaufort from Harris front. It was a warm morning and my feet blistered. It was the worst march I had done

8th I went sick with my feet but got given medicine and duty. I was transferred to the platoon.

9th.Had early breakfast and marched off at ½ past 7 to the firing range and did firing. Washed my sore feet in the evening.

10th Parade as usual and made attack in the woods sham fighting.

11th 1 o’clock in the morning we had the order to pack up and was marched about 8 miles to the station, I was fairly done up. We were then travelling till about 3oclock in the afternoon of the 11th. Then we had to clean rifles and wait about till 9oclock till we had anything to eat and drink. The shells were coming over our head.

12th We had to stand too expecting to be marched up the line at any moment. On the right of Passendale Front. About 12oclock we had the order to, and we had barely got the other side of the village Mabrille, when we had to fix bayonets and load rifles. We walked right into action the Germans was advancing. The same time woman and children were leaving their homes and fleeing for their lives. We dug ourselves in the best we could, having several killed and wounded. The night came on and we had a

few fires around the back of us, church and farm etc. Which were set off by the enemy shells. We passed away the night, and soon as daylight came Saturday the 13th April the battle then began. We fired away for all we were worth from both sides.

We had many dead and wounded, this went on till about 12oclock, when we had the order to retire. I sprung through the fence and following the other s up the bank, down came this bullet right through my poor leg. I dropped expecting to get another to finish me.......

6 comments:

  1. Puts our modern preoccupations and worries into context rather doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly does, Rog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful stuff. How long would a twenty year old from today last...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a few modern 20 year olds have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan in recent years. It's nothing like the scale of slaughter from the Great War, but it is still war and it is still pretty senseless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating bit of history! Thanks for publishing it. Makes you realise that although we've advanced a great deal in the last ninety years, in some ways we've really not learned all that much.
    Regards, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sir Bruin. Not a comment. Just wondered if you and Liz fancied another trad breakfast at Semer on Saturday 4th Feb next???? If so let me know and we'll finalise details (time, etc.)
    Regards, Mike and Ann.

    ReplyDelete