Monday, 25 March 2013

A View of a Street

Whilst trawling the BBC News site today, I happened upon this LINK , an article discussing the merits of Google's Streetview.
Opinion is divided, 250,000 German home owners have demanded that their houses be pixellated. Presumably so that the washing lines full of towels cannot be identified for fear of reprisals from last year's Battle of the Sunbeds. The Chinese do not seem to want to play at all.

On the other side was was an American lecturer who used it prior to a trip to Paris. I am with him on this. I think it is wonderful. I did the same thing before the bears went to Paris some years ago, on our trips to Scotchland and Welshland and, more recently, before our trip to Elstree Studios that is detailed HERE .

I have found it very helpful to actually see the junctions, streets, buildings etc that I am heading for before I make the journey.

So, what do we think? Useful and interesting or pointless and intrusive?

5 comments:

  1. I love it for checking out locations prior to travel. And for having a general nosey. I think it's one of the most incredible constructions of the internet age which would have seemed as futuristic as flying cars even 15 years ago. Well done Google. And Boo Hiss the pixellated Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also very useful when visiting friends for the first time as you know which house to look out for. Though our house isn't visible, it's too far from the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful and interesting gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful, brilliant, fun, interesting and I absolutely love it. I was looking at Spitzbergen this morning! (Who wants to look at dirty washing anyway?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just been looking on Street View at a location where I am due to go for an interview next week. I now know that I am going to struggle to find a parking space.

    ReplyDelete