Sunday, 7 April 2013

England 1 - France 0


Looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon, the Bears took themselves off to Ickworth near the great metropolis of Bury St Edmunds. 



Having landed the bearmobile, we headed off into the grounds. Immediately, it became apparent that we had traveled through some sort of time warp somewhere on the A14. We were presented with the sight of a British army camp sometime around 1814 ish. 


Officer in the camp

These fine gentlemen in the picture below are members of the Napoleonic Association.
The chaps in the green jackets are a contingent from the 95th Rifle Regiment. The fellows in the red jackets are, I believe, part of the 42nd Highland Regiment.



These chaps below are members of the 3eme Regiment de Artillerie. There were not many of them.


There followed a brief skirmish that despite my cries of, "Vive l'Emperor" and "Allez les bleus", the French chappies were roundly stuffed. This was due, in part, to the fact that they were hopelessly outnumbered. This was despite their numbers being bolstered by a handful of men from Prussian and Silesian regiments. More to even the numbers than to accurately reflect history, I think.

It was a splendid afternoon for all (except for the French).


4 comments:

  1. Vive La France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vive La France!

    (That's the second time I've made this comment but blogger seems to have deleted my first attempt).

    It was a splendid afternoon out. I'd never been to Ickworth before - the park is lovely and well worth a visit regardless of whether or not their is an event on.

    Can anyone else see the video on this post? I have tried looking at it both on smartphone and computer screen but nothing displays. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks brilliant, good weather too. yes, the video shows on my Mac. Not on the iPad though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather was sunny and bright, but a bit chilly. I've had a cold for the past week and it is a bit worse again today and now poor old Sir B has got it too. I suspect this is connected with our standing around in the cold wind yesterday afternoon. It was fun though.

    I can see the video on the PC now. I think our internet connection is a little off kilter today.

    ReplyDelete