Tuesday, 7 May 2013

The Bears head Sarf for the Bank Holiday

Having taken the Friday off work and with the Bank Holiday before us, the Bears headed South to the Garden of England. So, Friday morning saw us heading for the Dartford crossing and then to Penshurst Place. This is a fortified manor house once used by Henry VIII as a hunting lodge, the previous owner having been executed by Henry. I have simplified the history somewhat. For more detail, please refer to Mrs B who is good at that sort of stuff.

Mrs B during a coffee and bun stop

Outside view of the Barons' Hall. Sadly, photography was not allowed in the house. There were a couple of clocks that I would have liked to photograph for a certain Antiquarian Horologist of our acquaintance.


The gardens were very fine, nearly as ornate as ours.

View of the manor from the gardens.


Friday evening saw us heading for our overnight accomodation at Ye Old Crown Inn. Number 2 Son and his good lady met us there having driven from their home on the Isle of Thanet. Not wishing to be rude but, if Kent is the garden of England, Thanet is the compost heap. There was no evening meal available at the inn as there was an 80's band playing. We had an Italian meal at a nearby restaurant and then returned to endure the band for a while. If any member of Toto had witnessed Diamond Heart's version of Africa, I believe that they would have wept. The room was very comfortable and, bearing in mind that we were staying at a pub, the night was not unduly disturbed.


Fortified by an excellent full English, we headed for Hever Castle on Saturday morning. This was the home of Ann Boleyn (or Bullen, spelling varies apparently).

Number 2 Son, his good lady and Mrs B

Do not mess with a nesting swan.

Apparently, all these chaps are called Morris. The little one on the left is Morris Minor and the one making a  break for it on the right is Morris Traveler.

The gardens

Another bit of the gardens with some blue flowers

The Boleyn House

The ornamental moat

A couple of Elizabethan chaps wondering where all these bloody peasants have come from.

Saturday night was spent at the home of Number 2 Son. There we met Wellington who is A Very Fine Cat.


Wellington - the cute and cuddly assassin


I realise that there are some similarities to this post and that of Mrs B . However, I think my pictures are better.

9 comments:

  1. Loving your work Mr B. I would particularly like to commend you on coming up with a different Morris joke to the one you used on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An honourable draw, all shall have prizes! (Says he diplomatically...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have the edge because of the picture of the Small Bear and she's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Steve,
    I am lost in admiration of you aesthetic appreciation, reflected in your apt commentary of our Island history. Your 'another bit of garden with blue flowers' takes the absolute oatmeal bicky' for appreciative perception.

    Re photographs of clocks - Thank you; I will take the will for the deed.
    Regards, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike - I thank you for your kind comments and profound insight. If only all my readers were as appreciative as your good self.....

    I continue to be astounded at the work that must have gone into creating some of these aged clocks. There was a "tripod clock?" that I feel may have interested you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will probably be slightly outrested to hear that swans also nest in Etruria (Staffs or possibly Worcs) which is a whole layer below compost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh forgot - I love the bit of gardens with blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete