Room 101, according to George Orwell, was a place where ones worst fears were encountered. However, the television show of the same name is a showcase for ranting about ones pet hates. Now I like a good rant (as the Small Bear will testify), so I thought that would vent my spleen on this hallowed site. I may vent a few other internal organs as well.
Paul Merton, the host of the TV show, requires his guests to provide arguments to support their desire to consign each dislike to Room 101 (and, presumably, oblivion). Depending on the strength of their case, Paul will or will not allow the disposal of each annoyance.
I, on the other hand, have no such moderator. Well, maybe a reader of this small missive may choose to disagree with me.
So, the bile is flowing and the spleen is fit to burst. Here we go….
5) Cardboard milk cartons. What are they about? You have to squeeze tabs, pull other tabs, try to insert your finger to create a spout and you still end up dumping half the contents into your lap. They are completely unfit for purpose and the developer of them should have several inserted into him.
4) Misspelt and/or poorly punctuated signs. These are usually outside greengrocers. Why this should be may be a subject for a later debate. Too often do they display such howlers as, “Sprout’s” or, “Potatos”. Why not get someone to write the sign for you if it is difficult?
3) Cold callers. Why do they think I might be interested in buying some random product on the strength of a random phone call? If I want something, I am perfectly capable of going out to get it. I don’t need to be prompted by some cheerful bloody stranger on the end of a phone. A few years ago, I had a call from a jovial young lady asking me if I had UPVC windows. She was most upset when I told her that it was none of her business what kind of windows I had and that I had no interest in her windows, so why did she want know about mine?
2) TV adverts that quote a number instead of a price. Now, this may seem a little strange, but it really annoys me when the voiceover on the advert says, “And all for only one – nine - nine”. That is just a list of numbers. Is there a problem with the word, “Pounds”?
1) Drivers who do not indicate on roundabouts. There, now I’ve said it. I really do not understand why it is not possible to give the other roundabout users a small clue as to your intentions. I mean, it is only a matter of moving a little lever, is that really so hard? If you know where you are going, why not let everyone else know and give them a sporting chance? If you don’t know where you are going, why the hell are you on the road?
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

This is a really good idea for a blog post, damn it!
ReplyDeleteI may steal this one at some point.
Feel free to save any of them by well reasoned argument.
ReplyDelete5. I bypass them by having milk delivered in bottles. Because you're right and the cardboard ones should be consigned to oblivion.
ReplyDelete4. My son is a greengrocer. One of his assistants isn't the best speller. I asked him why he didn't correct her spelling and he said "because it's traditional".
3. Go to http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ - the telephone preference service - and you can block them. Though I agree with you, they should be banned.
2. I also hate when 'hundreds' is written as '100s' Or worse, '100's'
1. Even worse when you're on a bike and wondering if you have to stop at a roundabout or junction. I'm old and weary and prefer to avoid unnecessary stopping and starting. I glare at people who turn without indicating, making me stop, especially on a hill.
Greetings, my lady Z,
ReplyDeleteIt doth gladden mine heart to know that thou dost share mine own dislike of yon gripes. Mayhap, there will be no reasoned argument in defence of these loathsome issues?
Came to you via Dave then Liz. Hello! Agree with your list. The more drivers put into Room 101 the better (emptier roads for me). One of my pet hates having moved to here (Ipswich) recently are the Suffolk drivers - so slow, especially when the lights turn green. Other than that, I love the place.
ReplyDeleteTroy
ReplyDeleteWelcome to mine humble ramblings. Needs must I confess that I am also one of Suffolk's slow car drivers. However, mine girlfriend doth have a lead foot, methinks. It is a different tale when I am on the trusty steed of course, unless mine aforementioned girlfriend is on the back!
It's true! On a long journey, the petrol consumption is always higher if I'm driving. Sir Bruin is very steady and sensible behind the wheel. Apart from at roundabouts when he shouts at everybody.
ReplyDeleteI'm not so keen on speed on the back of the trusty steed though!
I don't find Suffolk drivers to be particularly slow, although they are an impatient bunch. If you want really crap driving - try Lincolnshire!
I would just like to point out that I do not shout at everybody on roundabouts. That is a vicious rumour.
ReplyDelete