Sometimes, you just know how a conversation will go.
Last night, I went to visit my mother. I could have gone out on the bike, but there was a little repair job on her kitchen window that needed doing. So, I turned up armed with the appropriate tools and an incredible sense of deja vu.
Fifty odd years ago she had an unsuccessful operation to enable her to have children (I am adopted) therefore all doctors know nothing. Therefore, the medication that she has been on for the last year following some heart trouble is doing her no good. The doctors do not understand that she is not like other people.
“I’m going to stop taking this medicine that they want me to have,” she said.
“But it’s keeping you alive,” I replied. “What does your doctor say about you not taking it?”
“They say that I will probably have a heart attack if I don’t take it.”
Seems like a no-brainer to me.
“But I had that operation and that didn’t work, how do I know that these pills will work?”
“Ok,” says I. “Firstly, that was completely different, I suspect that the doctor concerned is no longer with us. Secondly, the fact that you are still here suggests that the pills are working.”
Thus went the conversation last night. As it did the week before and, I suspect, how it will go next week.
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

There is much that could be added to this story.
ReplyDeleteFor example, about three months ago, Sir Bruin received a phone call from his mother's neighbour to say she had been taken into hospital. It transpired she had a chest infection. She was discharged next day with two lots of antibiotics, which she flatly refused to take, because she doesn't believe in antibiotics and because doctors know nothing. This begs the question, why did she consent to being carted off to hospital in the first place?
This is a woman who had two heart attacks last year and, if doctors really didn't know anything, wouldn't still be here to annoy Sir Bruin.
There is no reasoning with this woman.
I'm adopted too!
ReplyDeleteSir Bruin...alas, we all have mothers that drive us crazy...this is what enables us to grow up and MOVE OUT;-)
PS - I'm working hard at being crazy, in order to drive my last two children out of the house. It's worked with the first eight...so I'm pretty confident that hubby and I will be empty nesters someday!
ReplyDeleteNeas has a very good point!
ReplyDeleteMother's bring you up for 20 years then spend the next 40 getting their own back!
NN - I like your thinking. Maybe I should have moved further away when I had the chance.
ReplyDeleteRog - I must have been very bad in the first 20 years!
You have my sympathies. My mother lived next door to us, in a granny annexe, for 15 years and she was increasingly unwell for the last few years. Just think yourself lucky if your ma doesn't spend her evenings poring over a Readers Digest medical directory, looking for things she can decide she suffers from.
ReplyDelete