Thursday, 19 February 2009

The Bear Rides Out

The bike is back on the road. It has been languishing in my garage over the last few months waiting for that fine dry winter’s day that never came. Yesterday, I bit the bullet and got it out for the ride to work. I know it is big and shiny and a bugger to clean. I know that I said I would only ride it on dry days. I know that it can be a bit of handful when cornering in the wet (hard compound tyres and cruiser handling). I know all of these things, but it was fun! I took it to visit the smaller bear in the evening as well. It was dark and damper by then, but I was out on the bike again!
I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy not looking at the world through a windscreen or breathing the air without it going through the heater system first. Not sitting in traffic queues is an added bonus. Yes, I am that grinning biker that rumbles past you while you sit tapping your steering wheels. So bring on the lighter evenings and remember – 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad!

8 comments:

  1. 2 wheels scary, 4 wheels safer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can confirm that the Biker Bear was very happy and smiley (despite cold knees) when he arrived Chez Small Bear on his shiny steed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy:

    This bike is far more sedate than my previous rocket ship. Not scary at all.

    Liz:
    Did I mention that the cold knees are entirely the fault of number one son (another biker) who has my decent bike trousers? I will be sending him the bill for joint replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have mentioned this several times sire, and I think it is time you claimed them back from him. It's about time he bought his own over trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CK:

    That would be a Suzuki Intruder VL1500. Big, rumbly old beast, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that feeling of no walls, or windows! Lucky you... once went 120 mph down the A12. It was Very Scary Indeed and I wasnt in the front seat. kept yelling at him to slow down... he thought I was loving it and kept speeding up. Cor blimey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LWM:
    Never having travelled at hose speeds, I can only imagine how much fun it was!

    ReplyDelete