Whilst trolling around on the internet today, I happened across this news item:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7868854.stm
I am not generally an avid follower of world events (or Felixstowe events for that matter), but this did impress me for sheer laid -backedness (is there such a phrase? There is now) in the face of adversity.
It would appear that there have been floods in various parts of Northern Australia. Several towns are under water. Crocodiles from nearby rivers have suddenly found their horizons broadened and are now to be seen swimming up the main streets. Not a likely occurence in Suffolk, I would have to admit.
Anyway, to the point. A local hotelier, in an interview, said that she had seen a 4 metre crocodile in the centre of town, but (and this is the best bit) she would like to point out that they only had two days worth of beer left. I am totally impressed at this. Priorities right, or what?
Unlikely though it is, had this occured in Britain, what would be the reaction? "Oh well, never mind. Pour us another beer, mate". I think not. Given that our weather is currently less than clement, maybe we should give the whinging a rest and just get on with it.
Think I'll have a beer now.
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

I regularly round up escaped cows that amble down our drives, and once there was a piglet (slippery little chap he was) but I think I'd retreat to the pub if there were a 4 metre crocodile strolling along the road.
ReplyDeleteI used to work on a farm back when God was a boy. I know how difficult pigs can be. There was one that would always get into the pond if it could. I have never seen a pig swim since. I'm with you on the "head for the pub" thing in the event of crocodiles!
ReplyDeleteYou mean to say that you don't visit the Felixstowe TV webpage every day?
ReplyDeleteDo you think the residents of Northern Australia are blaming the government for the current crocodile problem? That's what most Britishers would do. It's no wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms.
"I'll have a beer and a crocodile sandwich - and make it snappy!"
ReplyDeleteLiz:
ReplyDeleteNo, I must confess that I don't visit the Flexistow TV (transvestites?) page daily. Don't tell Dave!
Troy:
I suspect that a crocodile sandwich would be most toothsome - the old ones are the best, aren't they?
As an aside, the word verification for this reply was "tampon". Well, it made me chuckle.