Wednesday, 11 February 2009

White Elephant?

When I hear the words, “White Horses”, I think of the foamy bits on the tops of waves. Living on the coast as I do, I suppose that that is the obvious first thought. Having just had my second 25th birthday, I am also (just) old enough to remember the kids’ TV programme, “White Horses”. That was a French offering, as I recall. There is a pub called “The White Horse” in the town where I live, so that comes to mind too. The Uffington white horse on the Berkshire Downs springs to mind as well, although, it has now apparently trotted into Oxfordshire. I think there are also some white horses in Wiltshire?
However, the White Horse currently in the news is a horse of an entirely different colour – although it is still white! This particular quadruped (which, as Wackford Squeers will tell you, is Latin for “horse”) is one costing two million quid. Is it a racehorse, perhaps? Horse shit! Of course it isn't. It is a fifty metre high, thirty three times life size statue.
Now, this so-called “Angel of the South” will form part of the Ebbsfleet Landmark Project. It was commissioned to represent the regeneration of north-west Kent. Yeah, I can see that. Horse = regeneration. The link is blindingly obvious (not to me, it isn’t). I know that a prancing white horse is the symbol of Kent, but the imagery escapes me. Peasant that I am. I would have though that a lot more regeneration could have been achieved had they not spent all that cash on a big horse. Again, maybe I am missing something.
On the up side, they have still to gain planning permission for this. So the stable door has not been shut and the horse has not yet bolted.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh dear! What a cross bear!

    I quite like a bit of public art myself, although I can't quite see a giant white horse being a southern rival to the Angel of the North (which I still haven't seen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to see public art as a rule. I am struggling with the thought of 2 million quids worth all in one equine lump, though. I suppose that I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the great Frank Muir once sang: "May B., it's a big horse, I'm a Londoner".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think they've worked out how to make it yet, nor how to keep it reasonably presentable over the next 20 years. The artist doesn't think it's his problem. I suggest they should think that through before making it.

    A horse is indeed a quadruped, but isn't quadruped Latin for beast - according to Wackford Squeers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They probably said the same about the Statue Of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower etc. etc. In the bigger scheme of things (think Millenium Dome) £2million isn't a lot of money. And the money isn't burnt, it will go to designers, draughtsmen, steel fabricators, erectors, crane operators, again etc.etc.
    I agree a horse may seem an odd choice but England has a long relationship with horses, horse racing (again etc.etc.) and Kent's symbol is a horse.
    To cut to the chase - I think its a bold idea and it will become a popular, well loved landmark which probably works out a £1 per head for the population of Kent.
    (Sorry its not a witty riposte, I'll try harder next time!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rog:
    Not being averse to the occasional pun, I salute the Mr Muir for that one.

    Z:
    I was working from memory (always a mistake), apologies for misquoting Mr Squeers. I do agree with you about it not being thought through. Do you think they will erect it with it's arse pointing towards France?

    Troy:

    Your points are sound, sir. I was rather one-sided in my post because I felt like having a bit of a rant. I am not sure it will rival the Angel of the North (looks like a crashed Spitfire to me), but I suspect it will be popular. Personally, I still think it is a pony and trap idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it should be a sheep.

    ReplyDelete