Apparently, text speak could have a "Positive impact on children’s reading development".
Er, “LOL”.
I came across this the other day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7910075.stm
Now I am wondering how I coped with learning to read without the benefit of a mobile phone and text messages. In my day, it was “Biggles Flies Undone” and other ripping yarns of that genre.
I do use text messages, so I am not “dissing” them altogether. They are a very useful means of communication. But, I am not sure they count as a learning aid. I most certainly cannot be doing with them as a means of conversation. I have received texts from my children that have resulted in me ringing them back to ask what they are actually saying. When I do send a text, it has to be properly spelt and punctuated (to the best of my ability).
This brings me to my other point. It would appear that “Misspelling doesn’t really break the rules of language”. I, most clearly, am a dinosaur. When I sat my exams, you lost marks for poor spelling and grammar. Now it duz nott matta yoo cann spell stuff how yoo lyke and nott wurry abowt punkchewashion annymoor.
I wonder if maths will be next? Can you imagine the banks (who are your enemy) not worrying about totalling your statements and just picking a number instead?
C U l8R
Facebook Marketplace and the 32-Inch Waist
11 hours ago

I think that for the last couple of years that banks have been doing just that! How much do you want to borrow - lets use our random number tables.
ReplyDeleteI spell properly in text messages too. I realise that I'm letting myself down, I'm letting my children down, I'm letting everyone down, but I cannot help it. I also add up in my head and have been known to use the subjunctive correctly. I show my age. I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteYs itz orl blx int it!
ReplyDeleteOMFG!
ReplyDeleteDon't get me started. This really is one of my pet hates.
Also "research"; copying wholesale from a book or from the internet. In my day this was called plagiarism.
Also "quotes"; students now take the literature into the exam with them so there's no need to memorise.
Also "capitals"; these are no longer required at the beginning of a sentence or for a proper noun etc.
Also "layout"; forming incorrect sentences and paragraphs no longer reduces a students overall marks.
I think I've gone on enough to bore you, but there's a great deal more where that came from...grrrrrrr.
Coral x
Troy:
ReplyDeleteYou are right, the banks (who are your enemy) will lend any amount with no thought as to how the individual is going to pay it back and still be able to eat.
Z:
Do not be concerned about letting your children down. I think mine treat me with a sort of affectionate contempt.
Rog:
ROTFL. Although, in truth, the very last thing I will be doing is rolling on the floor laughing.
CK:
I agree with you 100%. My boys bought me the Grumpy Old Men Handbook last year. Worryingly, I agreed with everything in it apart from the bit about Alpen.
I too like to punctuate my texts and I try to use proper grammar in emails. However, as punctuation and grammar weren't formally taught in schools when I was there (during the 70s and early 80s) mine may not be entirely correct and are based soley from what I learned reading "Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynn Truss.
ReplyDeleteZ - I don't even know what a subjunctive is!
In response to Coral's rant - I work in an FE College and plagiarism is taken very seriously. Students are disciplined if caught plagiarising. Regarding quotes, when I sat an English AS level in 2002 (when I was well into my 30s) we were allowed to refer to the poetry book but not the other set book. However, we were not marked down for spelling, which I thought was ridiculous (and my spelling is awful, so I ought to have been grateful). When I did my history A Level approx 10 years ago, no books were allowed in the exam and we had to quote from memory.
Hooray! Someone else who writes texts with real words. Cnt b dng wth crp n no wrds. I mean, really...
ReplyDelete